The leaf stitch is such a pretty hand embroidery stitch, it can be used in all sorts of ways. Similar to the fishbone stitch, the leaf stitch is a great textural stitch (which is obviously perfect for leaves). It looks fabulous when stitched with variegated floss, and can be done in a more textural way, or stitched closer together to resemble satin stitch. This tutorial and free pattern will hopefully get you on your way to adding beautiful embroidered leaves to your stitching projects. You can access all the free cross stitch and hand embroidery patterns by joining the Peacock Lounge (it’s free to join).
Free leaf stitch pattern
Tips for the leaf stitch
- If you want more of a satin stitch effect, place the stitches closer together
- Use variegated floss for a really beautiful effect
- Use extra guidelines if needed to keep your stitches placed correctly
- You can add dots along the outer edge of the leaves to keep the stitches spaced evenly
- Practice makes perfect, don’t be afraid to unpick your stitching if it’s not lying how you want it to at first.