Cross stitch fabrics: Aida, evenweave, and linen

Cross stitch fabrics: Aida, evenweave, and linen

If you’ve ever been to a needlework or craft shop, it can be overwhelming (in a good way) to see all the cross stitch fabrics that are available these days. Cross stitch fabrics come in a wide variety of types, colours, and textures. Whether you’re a beginner or a more advanced stitcher, there really is something for everyone (and every budget). From Aida to evenweave to linen, there are many options for the modern cross stitcher. This video tutorial will show samples of various types of cross stitch fabric, including some specialty fabrics.

Cross stitch fabrics: Aida

• Features blocks of threads, so the holes are much more distinct
  • Good for beginners or those who have difficulty seeing finer fabrics
  • 14 count is normal for beginners (many intermediate or advanced stitchers also prefer 14 count)
  • There are a variety of qualities (ie Michaels’ Loops & Threads brand is quite stiff, whereas Zweigart Aida is very soft and pliable)
  • There are many specialty Aida varieties such as Fiddlers Cloth by Charles Craft (oatmeal Aida) and Zweigart’s linen Aida
  • Used 16 count Fiddler’s Cloth for the Adorned Life Collection

Evenweave fabric

• Usually cotton or cotton blends
  • Threads are very consistent in diameter and evenly spaced
  • You usually stitch over two but can stitch over one for very large projects
  • Better for fractional stitches
  • Takes a little bit to get used to as the weave is finer than Aida and the holes less visible, but once you get the hang of it, it’s great
  • A huge variety of prints, patterns, and colours available
  • Used 25 count Lugana (stitched over 2) for the Royal Proclamations Collection

Linen fabric

• Made from the flax plant
  • Similar thread counts to evenweave and higher (can go up to 40 or more)
  • The threads often have “slubs”, or tiny sections of linen lumps — these are normal and give linen its unique appearance
  • Linen has a bit of a sheen, and creases more easily
  • Working with linen is similar to working with evenweave

Links mentioned in the video:

Fabrics

Retailers

Peacock & Fig collections mentioned in the tutorial:

Summary
Cross stitch fabrics: Aida, evenweave, and linen
Cross stitch fabrics: Aida, evenweave, and linen
Cross stitch fabrics come in a wide variety of types, colours, and textures, and this tutorial demonstrates the basics: Aida, evenweave, and linen.

1. Michelle Thomas

Does anyone ever buy linen off the bolt at JoAnn for their needlework projects?

Hi Michelle! I have never been to a JoAnn’s shop (I’m in Canada), but yes, that’s why they have the bolts of fabric available. Some people want to buy in bulk as it’s usually less expensive (I know some people even buy a bolt of linen themselves for all their projects). Also for some bigger projects, you can only get fabric big enough if you buy off a bolt. 🙂 Happy stitching!

• Lena Montgomery

Joann’s does not sell linen off the bolt in their shops. You can buy it by the yard on the online store but Joann;s is way overpriced for linens and everything else. Even with a coupon you can get a better prive online such as at 123stitch.com. Joanns raises most of their prices by 50% before they issue their 50% & 60% off coupons. Just an FYI.

Haha thanks Lena! I don’t know — I’ve never been to a Joann’s, I assumed that since I was asked about their bolts of fabric that they sold that in their shops. We don’t have Joann’s in Canada, just Michaels. 🙂

2. Gayle

Thanks !

3. Linda

Dana, thank you for the tutorial. It was very informative. I do enjoy learning about different materials and techniques for cross stitching. I work at Michael’s and so it also helps me with my customers.

That’s great, I’m glad the tutorial helped Linda! It’s a shame Michael’s doesn’t have a big range, but at least having knowledgable staff like yourself will definitely help. 🙂

4. Maxiely

Thanks.

You’re welcome, happy stitching! 🙂

5. Joanne Obergfell

Enjoyed this tutorial and seeing the different material up close. Thank you!

You’re very welcome Joanne, glad you enjoyed it! 🙂

6. Carol

Thank you for the tutorial ~ I have not tried any kind of even weave or linens just Aida but I may now. I really like the ones with the printed backgrounds (like the little stars and hearts). Enjoyed the tutorial.
    Thanks again

You’re welcome Carol! I know right, the printed ones are so neat, I love them. Have fun experimenting! 🙂